Studio Practice review so far – 2

 

In the last review I wrote about how I had built on the photographs I had taken in Malta. These were images of damaged walls, broken plaster and peeling paint. I spent the first 5 weeks initially creating patterns using watch parts and then later moved onto developing these photos. I did this by trying to re-create holes in plasterboard and talked about how I wanted to expand my work to incorporate using more building materials such as brick, plaster, wire and expanding foam. I still intend to do this also stretching to using breeze blocks as they’re easier to cut than the brick. I made

an attempt to cut a brick the other day using an angle grinder and because of the size of it and the guard on the edge, I couldn’t get the angle right the cut through the brick cleanly. I also talked about wanting to explore the blurry photos more which I have decided to do in my negotiated studio practice as I wanted to use this module to try and do more two dimensional work.

I began thinking about why I felt so drawn to found marks and damage, and I began to wonder whether it was my need to fix things. So I looked at the holes that I had created and filled them in with normal plaster. The plaster that I had made was slightly too thick and therefore was too difficult to pour and left a messy result on the surface of the plasterboard. I rubbed off the excess from the surface and rather liked the grubby texture that it left. I then tried to even out the plaster itself and it didn’t leave the smooth even layer that I wanted it too, However I liked the rough surface quality that it was left with, there is something about it not being in the state that you would expect it to be. Normally you would expect a smooth even finish and it was left with a rougher one, I think that this adds to the whole damage idea that I am trying to create and I really liked the neutrality of them.

 

I also experimented with using some of the bits of left over plasterboard, cutting them up and then inlaying them into a piece of wood much like Susan Collis work. I found this process rather difficult because I had to hand cut all of the squares using a jigsaw and then attempt to file away the edges to get them to fit in. In the end I ended up just using a large hammer to knock them into the holes; as the plasterboard is quite soft and easily broken. I liked that this left the bits of plasterboard more damaged but I felt that the end result was not as good as I wanted it to be. The squares were not evenly spaced and the magnolia paint on the surface looked really odd paired with the painted white wood. I think that it would have looked far better if the plasterboard squares had not been painted and neither had the wood. I much prefer the natural look of the materials.

I spent some time trying to figure out what to do with 3 canvases that I’d acquired a long time ago and never decided what to paint on them. I considered painting on them using plaster to create a textured surface but once I got them into the studio I began looking at the back of them. As they were professionally made they were deep and had a neat wooden frame, so I decided instead to put the plaster directly into the canvas itself. One canvas was filled with finishing plaster, as it dried the surface began to discolour and decay because I think that the plaster was out of date or had been left out. I would like to incorporate decay some more into my work maybe by leaving some of the already created pieces outside to fester. The smaller canvas was as well filled with finishing plaster, I then tried to hollow it out using a chisel like the plasterboard pieces. Once done I carried along the same route and tried putting normal plaster in to fill the hole but I felt that it looked far better with the hole in, so I hollowed out the plaster again and I was left with rough layers which I think was the best looking piece. I’m going to try creating this again on a larger scale with more layers. The last canvas was filled with white plaster and I also tried to hollow this one out. It didn’t work quite well due to the size of it so I ripped the canvas off and I liked the textured surface that was left but the cutting away left holes in the back, it almost reminded me of Rachel whitereads castings. I would like to carry on experimenting with this process some more in the new year.

I also carried on exploring found marks and photographing them which I’m happy with as it has supplied me with visual research and has inspired me to try creating a piece that incorporated some bits of these photographs in a sculpture surrounded by a skeleton frame, this is the next thing I’m going to try. I am also collecting things like wood shavings that I can put into plaster to create these textured paintings, the board has already been canvased and primed ready once I have the materials. Im aiming to see a few galleries before I go back and have begun to include more reviews in my critical research which was one of my aims in the last review.
I am really happy with my progress so far I’ve done lots of visual and contextual research that has carried on inspiring me. I still feel like my work has so much potential I am excited to explore it some more when we come back.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s